Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Truly Thankful

Today was the last day of work before Thanksgiving. It was a day that was very much like any other work day. I went in at 8:00 AM, loaded my van and took off. My first stop in the morning, after loading, is at the Bailey Center on Broadway in Everett. This is a large mental health facility that houses a Crisis Beds area for short-stay in-patient care, case manager offices and facilities and counselor and psychiatrist offices. There is also a pharmacy and a physician's clinic. My job is to deliver and pickup client files, interoffice mail and medications for clients. These clients suffer from any of a variety of mental illnesses; depression, bi-polar disorder, all forms of schizophrenia, etc.

I need to share a "small little something" that came to me today as I left Bailey.

Every day I am greeted by my friend, Darrel. He is one who suffers from bi-polar disorder. He has a wonderful sense of humor, a bit of a salty mouth and dearly loves the Lord Jesus. There are many others who speak with me quite often. They usually only say "Hello" and "How's it goin'". Once in a while we stop to talk about the music that is blaring in their headphones.

I am very cognizant of the many, many blessings I have received in this life. I have a beautiful wife, two amazing kids, two sweet and energetic granddaughters and many friends. I have had a complete career as a music educator and conductor and have had the wonderful opportunity to perform hundreds of times as a classical singer all over the world. I have seen my son receive many awards for his achievements in athletics. I have seen my daughter receive much recognition for her creative endeavors (she still has art hanging, not only in Snohomish, but all over the U.S.). My wife is smart, dedicated, loving, patient and warm. But today I experienced something that was deeply touching and came to me "out of the blue."

As I left the Bailey Center on my afternoon route, one of my "mentally ill friends" held the door open for me and said, "Happy Thanksgiving, Pat." This is a person who suffers from drug and alcohol addiction, smokes cigarettes constantly, struggles with bi-polar disease, is quite often talking to people that are not there and can't hold any kind of job. He lives alone and his clothes are held together with twine and thread that he has sewn on. He will never have any kind of a "normal" life and he really doesn't have any true friends. He spends the entire day, every day, at the Bailey Center, sitting on his haunches drinking coffee and smoking. 8 to 9 hours a day he is there. He has nothing else in his life to do. But he wished me a "Happy Thanksgiving."

As I approached the van, my eyes filled with tears. I felt as if I had just been touched by Jesus himself. This man, whose name is Billy, is mentally ill. He cannot live a life that the rest of us would call a life. He has no wife or girlfriend. He cannot work. He cannot drive a car. He cannot do much of anything. But he wished me a "Happy Thanksgiving."

After I wiped my tears (I was pretty choked up) I went back up to him, shook his hand and thanked him. I asked if he was going to have a turkey dinner. He said that his sister always comes to town and he and his mother have dinner with her. I wished him a "Happy Thanksgiving" and hugged him. He looked a little startled. I went to load the van and leave and as I drove away, he waved.

How is it that all of us normal folk treat each other like crap; shoot, rob and lie to each other? And here is a man who, much of the time,doesn't know if he is pumped or stuffed and HE wishes ME a "Happy Thanksgiving."

Makes one think, doesn't it!!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, Pat. Thank you for sharing that. I would say God used both of you that day. Seriously. I was listening to a local radio station the other day, they were hosting their annual "raise money for the Union Gospel Mission" event. I think we often have a misconception about those we don't understand. As I listened to one man's story - I had to give. This man had been on his own since 8 years old - his parents had died. He was about to end his life, when he heard about a free meal. So, he went to the UGM and that one meal changed his life. So, I am praying for those 26 people who will have thanksgiving dinner. May God touch their lives. I am sure that Billy was genuinely taken aback by your hug. We are often so afraid of....what? Jesus would have hugged him without thought...actually - He did.