Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Becoming Papa Pat

About four and a half years ago I became a grandfather. Because of that blessed event I immediately became Papa Pat. I couldn't have been prouder! As I took on the name of Papa Pat, I wanted to know my responsibilities. What was I to do. Who was I to be? Must I always be 'wise'? How would I get them to love me?

As it turns out, I had the questions all wrong. My granddaughters, Bailey, 4 1/2 and Madison, 2 are not so much the receivers in our relationship. I am! They give love, they give laughter, they give reality and they give themselves. All of these things come from them freely! I don't have to ask them.

I guess I am simply an extremely blest father because my own children were exactly the same; they were very giving and loving. They always were respectful and wanted to please both RaeLyn and I. As much as I tried to teach them, I ended up being the one who was learning and they were my teachers.

Bailey and Madison are the sweetest little girls. They tease and laugh and wrestle and shout and cry and dig in the dirt and name trees and see bees and pick flowers and cheer for their Daddy's team and tickle their Papa Pat!!!! I couldn't be prouder! Isn't life good??? No, really, isn't it good?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh most definitely a PROUD Papa Pat! What a good idea, putting your feelings and thoughts on paper/blog. We are blessed aren't we! We are blessed to have been able to live as long as we have so that we may experience the joys and blessings that getting older provides for us. Seeing our children grow up to become adults and adults to be proud of. We "get to" experience the grandparent role, and we "get to" experience the aches and pains, loss of hearing or teeth or sight, all not that big of a deal when you think about all of the pleasures of being a proud papa or proud Grandma Connie; or have a brother that is a close friend. Love you!