Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Talent Is Talent

Our daughter, Julie, was an amazing artist when she was in high school. She created some absolutely wonderful pieces which were commissioned by the United Methodist Church and were used in some national meetings. She was selected as the Art Department Scholar of the Year in her senior year (2001)and we all thought she would major in Art in college. She didn't!!

She informed us that she wanted to create when she felt the urge to do so, not when some faculty person told her she needed to create for a grade. It sounded logical. But then her creative juices seemed to die out and she wasn't really doing much in the way of art for a couple of years.

In the last four months she has begun to create jewelry and make it available for sale on the Internet. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, headbands are all included in her catalogue. And I am telling you, they are truly beautiful!

Now tonight she decided she wanted to make a gift for her boyfriend's grandmother. She had previously taken a number of photos of flowers and had these photos printed and mounted in a frame. I was stunned!! Where did she learn to shoot photos like that??

I guess I did not understand her talent at all. Being an artist does not mean that one can create fine paintings or lovely drawings or amazing sculptures. Being an artist is a way of thinking; a manner in which we see the world. Julie sees the world in such a beautiful way and she is so dynamic in her awareness and ability to share her view with the rest of us.

I am deeply moved by her profound awareness of life, beauty and things that truly matter in this life. God Almighty, you have blest me beyond my understanding!! And I bow before You in gratitude!

1 comment:

Pat Castro said...

Thanks for your beautiful words Pops!You mean the world to me. I think a blog is an awesome idea for you. I look forward to reading more. Love you