Monday, August 2, 2010

Good 'ol S.H.S.

"How'd you like to be a Panther?" It was Ray Johnson's voice in my phone. I had applied and interviewed for the Choral Music position at Snohomish High School and he was calling me to see if I would accept the job. If I said "Yes" I would have to give up a brand new, beautiful brick home that my father-in-law built for us in Port Townsend. But it was the job of my dreams and I wanted it badly. My family would have to move and start all over again, but I knew I had my wife's support. I said I would take the job!!!

Over the next 22 years I worked my tail off. I spent many out-of-school hours in the office planning, rehearsing groups, going to workshops and spending hours at the music shop looking for new tunes. I loved it!

I took the choirs on some wonderful trips: Victoria, B.C., Vancouver, B.C. Eastern Washington, Oregon, California. We even made two trips to the People's Republic of China. We competed in many vocal jazz festivals, sang for churches, concerts and celebrations.

There were Donn Pratts and Tom Campbells, there were Kelley Gintys and Erik Flynns, there were Amy Kings and Eric Verlindes, there were Melissa Enzs and Tom Storks,there were Zach Trandums and Shanna Weatherbys. I thought they were all very special.

My walls at home now are filled with photos of groups of singers that were my "pride and joy". Some of these groups were festival winners and others barely received a certificate. It wasn't about winning. It was about making music and enjoying the "journey" in doing so.

If you haven't been there lately, you should stop by. Snohomish High School is no longer the Snohomish High School I knew. In fact, where the Music Building was and where my office and rehearsal room were, is now a patch of beautiful green grass; like a bare lawn. For a while it was just sawdust, but then they planted grass.

The saddest part is: it is as if I was never there! If you go by, and you should, you will not see any evidence that Pat Castro and the Concert Choir, The Women's Ensemble or The Crimson Singers were ever there.

We go through life believing that we are so very important and that the world cannot go on without us. Boy, do I have news for you!!! I guess it will go on just fine!!

The thing that I learned is that the most important things that happen in life, stay in our hearts and in our memories. I am learning that that is where life really matters the most. I have many memories from my years at S.H.S. Not all are good, but they are all memorable. Life goes on, with us or without us. I'm just glad that I got to be a small part of all the wonderful people that were placed in my life at Snohomish High School. I am certainly a better person because of them!!!

2 comments:

Karry said...

Mr. C. I must say that my time at SHS under your direction was the highlight of my teen years. I learned so much from you, which goes well beyond music. I remember when we went to BC that you gave us a small border crossing speech, saying, "We are entering a foreign country, and we are an example not only to our school, but to our Country." I always remember that speech, and I used the same precepts in my own leadership.

Hearing that the old SHS Music building is gone almost made me cry. But change is the only constant I've been able to know. That and the love of Christ. I suppose in order to survive we simply need to accept both.
--Karry

Jaci Cummings said...

And ... I just cried .. You're the greatest! I hope to continue your legacy with honor! I am proud to be leading the SHS vocal department now, and hope to have the impact that you had on so many students. You're an inspiration!